Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Cooking experiment - beef short ribs

I used to cook on a regular basis. Somewhere along the way, I got into scrounge mode and either bought something in a box or ate breakfast food for dinner.

Tonight, I'm cooking! I received an offer for a free 60-day membership at BJs. I needed toilet paper and wanted to take advantage of buying in bulk (one of the few bulk items I can store). While exploring the store, I cruised through the meat department. Voila! Beef short ribs!! I rarely see them in the store and I love them. I found a manageable package; easily divided into half...half now, half at another time.

I typically cook short ribs in my crock pot. Here's what's cooking right now:

4 seasoned beef short ribs (paprika, oregano, and garlic powder), browned on all sides in Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

In the pot:

1 3/4 cups of water
1 tablespoon Better than Bouillon concentrate (this may be too much, we'll see).
Cherry preserves ...several teaspoons.
Mushrooms...well, they were hanging around for awhile, I threw them in to get rid of them. I expect they'll cook down into nothing, but I'm hoping they'll leave some flavor behind.

If I had them, I would have added onions or shallots.

Cooking time on low: 6-8 hours.

I'll serve them with green beans, I think. Possibly mashed potatoes (good with the gravy) or rice.

Yum!

No comments: