Tuesday, March 10, 2009

So close, and yet so far

I was close to getting a very interesting job. It would have been very challenging, very interesting work, and best of all, the potential to become a permanent position.

I didn't get the job. I did well on the interviews, people seemed to like what I had to say. But, they had another candidate that had something I didn't. Not sure what, but somehow that person was deemed a better fit.

I'm disappointed. I was looking forward to not having to look for a job for awhile -- at least 6 months, maybe a couple of years, even. Instead, the search must continue.

In the meantime, I'm taking a low-paying but short term contract. I figure it's better than being an unemployment queen. But, it's just work, not something I feel I can be proud of having. Just something to earn a bit of money. A bit more than unemployment would provide. But I don't like it.

I know...I need to find a way to put a positive spin on this. Having a short-term contract does mean I have some income coming in while giving me the flexibility to explore any other opportunities that come along. There are few things that seem to pop up once or twice a week, so I can continue to pursue them. And, there's no way of knowing when something even better will come along than the job I didn't get. Maybe something closer to home? I do have a phone interview with another company today. It's not a location I like but, at least something about my resume caught their attention. So, I have to keep focused on the fact that other opportunities will come my way.

But, I really, really wanted the other job.

No comments: