Tuesday, March 17, 2009

irony in the job search -- they should have picked me

Just received a call about a job I interviewed for a couple of weeks ago. I was very interested in the job but they chose someone else.

Who, apparently, "didn't work out." The person had to have been at the job for a week? The person they hired was an internal referral. Makes perfect sense to hire that person instead of me. But now they're sorry that they didn't hire me, HA!

But too late for me, there's no way I can drop out of my current contract without committing professional suicide. And, they are now in a rush to fill the job so they couldn't give me 24 hours to think about it. And they have 3 other candidates who could possibly fill the job. And the rate they were thinking of paying is way too low for the type of work and commute required.

At first, I was heartbroken. This job had the potential to go permanent and it was REAL work, that would have challenged me. But, let's think about this...

What does it say about the company that it took them more than a month to select a candidate and then THEY PICKED THE WRONG ONE! Who didn't last more than, what, a week? And now, they're all in a panic and they're going to pick from a pool of people that they rejected. I was the second best candidate. Now, they'll have to pick the third, fourth, or fifth candidate. And they rate they wanted to pay?! Gee whilikers. It doesn't sound like documentation is highly valued there.

So, maybe it's for the best. Maybe they're not such a good place to work after all.

No comments: