Monday, May 11, 2009

Less than reliable MacBook Pro?

OK, so everyone raves about how much better a Mac is than the garden-variety PC. I dunno. I've had my MacBook Pro for a couple of months and keep running into annoying oddities that I never had with my Windows laptop.

On a couple of occasions, I've lost the display on the laptop. The first time it happened, the battery needed recharging. I had to plug it in and wait until there was enough power for the display to appear. Never had that happen with my Windows laptop. Even after the battery was 100% discharged, I could plug it in and it worked immediately.

The blank display thing happened again the other day. I have no clue what the deal was. I woke up the machine from sleep and poof..nothing. Just black. Eventually, after hitting the power button several times, I got the display to appear, but the boot-up sequence hung. I tried removing the wireless mouse thingie and restarted the machine, which worked. But, I'm not sure if that actually did anything or it was just coincidence.

I wandered around the system and found the console log and it looked like the culprit might have been the VM. But I'm not sure. Do I really have to suspend the VM when the machine goes to sleep? I've left the VM running before and never had this problem.

I think I need learn the underpinning of Mac OS so I can troubleshoot these issues.

No comments: