Monday, December 21, 2009

Selecting a word

A life coaching blog that I read on occasion has an interesting end of the year tradition. Insteading of recommending that people come up with New Year's resolutions, she asks them to pick a word for the year...a word that sets the tone for the year, a focus for the actions that a person takes. For those who picked a word last year, they post an entry on how their accomplishments for the year matched the word they chose.

I like this idea and I've been trying to come up with a word to use as my guide for the upcoming year. Some words that I'm mulling over:

Explore - perhaps this is the year when I step out of my comfort zone to explore new things, new places, new people.

Expand - Broaden my horizons? Take bigger risks?

Release/Let Go - Get rid of old baggage, maybe. Or old habits that aren't useful anymore.

Action - enough with my chronic procrastination. Take action when it's needed instead of putting things off, over and over again.

I think it would be an interesting experiment -- can one word be enough to influence one's point of view in the future?

No comments: