Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Anxiety

Maybe it's the time of year, maybe it's a reaction to the economic misery we've had to endure this year, or maybe it's the people in my life right now. Whatever it is, I'm seeing a lot of anxiety in a number of my friends. One person, especially, has me worried. He seems to be on the way to a nervous breakdown. Medication, therapy -- none of it seems to be working. What drives a person to obsess over something he can't control (and he knows that)? What motivates him to feel responsible for issues that he really doesn't own (and he knows he's doing that, too). And all I can do is watch this person fall apart. I offer my support, but when someone is in that state, I know it's hard for them to reach out and ask or accept help. Sigh.

And then, there are a few others. All struggling with life issues. In those situations, though, they are making use of counselors and therapists. So, while they're struggling, they seem to be on an upward path. I don't worry so much about them.

As for me, I'm feeling less anxious and a bit more at peace with myself than I have in a while. I've spent a lot of time working through some personal issues and while I have a long way to go, at the very least, I'm a bit more clear regarding what is acceptable in my life and what is not. I'm setting better rules for myself and learning to live by them. Knowing that I'm making personal progress leaves me feeling just a tad less anxious today.

No comments: