Sunday, December 6, 2009

The magic of the First Snow in New England

There's something special about that first bit of snow covering the trees and grass. Especially, when it happens at night.

I was driving home from a friend's house last night. The snow was coming down gently, not so much to make the road slippery, but enough to cling to the grass, the trees, and the bushes like vanilla icing. The Christmas lights glowed through a translucent coating of new, white snow.

It was a magical moment. The sounds of the night were muffled, the falling snow contrasted with the darkness of sky. When I reached home and got out of the car, the air felt clean, clear, and sharp as I breathed it in. I love moments like that.

Today, the temperature is up, the sun is out, and the snow is changing back into water.

More snow on tap for this week after today's melt down. I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: