Monday, January 25, 2010

I'll never be a vegetarian

I know that eating lots of veggies and fruits (but more veggies, I think) is one of the best things we can do for our health. I know that limiting consumption of animal products (meat, dairy, and so forth) is a very good thing.

But, most times, I don't really like vegetables as my main course. This weekend, I made a bean and quinoa stew. The beans came from a local Mediterranean market and I did the whole soak them overnight thing. Most of the rest of the veggies came from local farmers (onions, parsnips, and tomatoes frozen from my own harvest last year). I added some carnival squash, various seasonings,, and voila...stew.

And yet...as I sit here eating my stew for lunch, I know that if I hadn't added some seasoned, ground beef (yes, from a free range, grass-fed cow, so it's a bit more healthy that store-bought stuff) and a bit of Parmesan cheese, I would have hated the dish.

The recipe doesn't call for much in the way of seasoning, so perhaps I need to work on adding more spices. I did skimp on the salt as I like to keep sodium levels low, but in the end I did have to add salt to overcome the extreme blandness of the dish. I suppose a dash or two of red pepper flakes or tobasco sauce would also help.

Maybe I just need to learn how to season vegetarian dishes to make them seem more attractive to me. Or something. Disappointing...I had high hopes for this dish, as it does look nice.

I think I was born to be a carnivore.

No comments: