Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Medical staff never listens when it comes to providing prescriptions

Most employee insurance plans in the US want you to use their mail order pharmacy for medications that indivdiuals take on a reguar basis. It's a lot less expensive for everyone.

You would think this is common knowledge in the medical profession. Yet, no matter how many times I try to get nurses and doctors to hand me a written script or send it to me in snail-mail, they always ask me for the number of the pharmacy so they can call it in.

I spoke to a nurse about a new prescription last week. She asked for a pharmacy number. I requested that she mail it to me so I can send it to my mail order program. They called me several days later and asked me for the number of the pharamcy so they can call it in. I started to explain that I wanted to use my mail order program and then, suddenly, gave up. WTH, it's easier to just let them do it their way. Because, they just don't seem to have any idea that there's such a thing a mail-order and that the insurance companies want us to go that route.

Of course, now I have to get in touch with the mail order program and get them to transfer the prescription to them. And, of course, THEY will again request a written script, which I just couldn't get.

If the medical profession would just get a clue about how what they do cost the average person extra money, maybe we wouldn't have such high insurance costs.

No comments: