Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I own the words!

Having been a technical writer for what seems like forever, it's not often that I actually get excited about my work. Don't get me wrong. I *like* what I do for a living. It's just that, after all these years, a lot of what I do is a repeat of what I've done before.

At the beginning of this week, the product manager let me know that I will be responsible for all of the words in the user interface. For one thing, it takes this burden away from the developers. We have 2 UI developers and they are just swamped with work. For another, the wording that they've used so far is...well, not horrible, but certainly needs work.

So, I *own* the words! I've never had this responsibility. Usually, I've been able to work with the User Experience person and help to edit what they do. Or I have to log bugs and hope that someone actually pays attention to them. So, having this responsibility is new and I'm quite pleased about it. I get to make a real impact on the product, that everyone can see and I get to do something new.

Nice.

No comments: