Monday, November 3, 2008

iPhone gets free WiFi

AT&T has finally declared free WiFi hotspots for iPhone users. For some odd reason, AT&T went back and forth on this. Announcing it, then pulling the announcement and then back again. But now it's real. I received a text message the other day explaining how to access the free service. So, while I was in Starbucks the other day, I gave it a whirl. Yup, it works. A bit of an awkward process though. You have to connect to the service, start Safari, and when prompted to do so, enter your 10-digit phone number. After submitting your number, you wait for a text message that gives you a link that's good for 24 hours. Does seem a bit round-about. But it works.

I was with a friend of mine from the UK and the requirement to enter a 10-digit number stopped him in his tracks. He doesn't HAVE a 10-digit number. Seems unfair to have that requirement. Shouldn't service allow anyone with any type of number to get on?

Free WiFi hotspots are found in Starbucks, McDonalds, Airports, Barnes & Noble. And other places.

Oddly enough, it seems like I was just able to connect to the free WiFi service from my office. I didn't think it would be possible...unless I just happened to find a different Free Public WiFi connection? I'm curious to see exactly where I can use this...WiFi is soooo much faster than the old EDGE network.

No comments: