Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Success and less than success

Balance....we all know that balance is necessary in our lives, personal and work.

I have an odd sort of balance going on today. The web portal that I built using Joomla (which almost drove me to poking a stick in my own eye because the documentation for open source products is seriously lacking) is having moderate success. People are asking to post their content there and, little by little, it's becoming known. I chatted with the President of our organization this morning and he is quite pleased with our little grassroots effort. The blog is chugging along.
So, yay, something successful.

On the other hand, the other web site that I keep an eye on (and it's a customer-facing site) is broken and I'm totally baffled as to what's going on. Something was deleted from the database...a totally innocent accident from someone else who was trying to do the right thing. Yesterday, I spent half a day getting things back into shape, only to discover that I hadn't looked closely enough and the site is still very broken (links going to the wrong place, etc.). I'm totally baffled and will have to step through individual documents to change mappings and so forth. Not something I really have time for today, but, since it's a public site, it has to take top priority.

So, for today, one plus and one minus. Is that balance? I'm not sure. All I know is that I have a busy and perhaps frustrating day ahead of me.

No comments: