Wednesday, December 1, 2010

I wasn't where I needed to be...

I often put my cell phone on silent, especially at work. And then, forget to take it out of silent mode. Today, I sincerely regret that I do that and will not do it any more. A friend called me, in great need, and I didn't hear her call. So, I wasn't there when she needed me. 

My friend's husband committed suicide tonight. She called me asking for me to come be with her. I didn't hear the call until 2 hours later. She's OK, she has friends with her now. Her Mom is arriving tomorrow. People who care about her are taking care of her.

But, she called me and I wasn't there. And I wish I could be there. I wasn't any place important when she called. Just another night at the glass studio, which I could have left in a New York minute if I had heard her call.

I wasn't there. I didn't check my phone for messages. I don't get a lot of calls so I got out of the habit of checking the phone for messages. I didn't really think about the fact that terrible things happen, emergencies occur.

I wasn't there when called.

I'll be there in the days ahead. I'll help where I can and back off when asked to. I'll be one of many who will do that for her. I have no doubt that she will have a lot of support from many people who care so much about her.

But tonight, my friend called and I wasn't there.

I hope that never happens again.

No comments: