Tuesday, March 2, 2010

What's with the loud, annoying music?

Is it a boy thing? The loud, annoying music that suddenly blares from some guy's sound system, without any consideration regarding who might have to endure it?

My next door neighbor has a new roommate. The new guy seems to think that blasting loud, thumping music on Sunday mornings (between 7 and 8 am, mind you) is just the perfect thing to do on the day I typically try to lounge in bed, happily doing my crossword puzzle. Suddenly, my lovely, quiet morning is shaken by thump, thump, pound, pound, boom, bam. Sheesh. It's not like I can actually hear music. Nope, I just hear the bass speaker from the sound system. Over, and over, and over again. Stupid rap music..it's about as boring as the new age music that used to make me want to run screaming out of the room.

Last week, I was tempted to resort to the amazingly immature behavior of banging on the wall, in the hopes that he would get the hint. Or, turning on my own music, blasting it lower than his.
Instead, I took the high road and just gritted my teeth. Luckily, after about an hour, he shut off the music and I could return to my nice, relaxing morning. I suppose the only benefit is that if the music annoys me enough, I'll haul my ass out of bed and get out and about instead of lazing around.

Today at work, one of the software developers decided that blasting Led Zeppelin was the perfect thing to do, in the middle of the afternoon. Here I am, trying to figure out how to take some complex technical concept and reduce it into a few easy-to-understand sentences, when hard-core metal music comes blaring out of the office next to my cubicle. Geez Louise. The least he could have done was asked me about my musical preferences. If he chose to blast Thunder Road by Bruce Springstein, at least I would have been able to sing along. He's done this before...I can't imagine what he's thinking when he does this.

If the developer was actually somewhat approachable, I might have asked him to put on his headphones, but I wasn't in the mood to get some snarky response (this one developer is usually very snarky if anyone says anything he doesn't like -- it's easier to just avoid conversations with him as much as possible).

I get that kids have no sensitivity towards others, but these latest intrusions are coming from so-called adults ...I hate to buy into that old cliche that boys never grow up, but in this case, I do wish I could put these guys in a corner for a time out. grrr...

No comments: