Thursday, September 10, 2009

The pluses and minuses of work responsibility

As I mentioned before, I have the responsibility at work to edit all of the text content in our user interface. Which is a good thing.

On the other hand, it means I need to get into the source code and remove the hard-coded text with labels. Which also means, I need to do local builds and unit tests to make sure I didn't break something. I'm not so fond of that.

If I'm careful, I should do just fine. But, I suspect I'll have to go the next step and learn how to merge code as the developers will be working with same code that I'm working with. Not such a good thing. Too easy for things to break.

I hate looking stupid in front of the developers, especially since I still consider myself new here and trying to prove that I'm not an idiot.

So, I'm feeling a bit stressed.

This project wouldn't be so bad if the developers hadn't started out hard coding text and used resource files from the beginning. But they didn't, so now I'm doing the retrofitting work for the them -- they have so much to do right now that it's the only way this work can be done.

Sigh...challenges...they're supposed to be good for me. But I'm really not in the mood for it.

No comments: